Monday, December 28, 2009

Ralph's on Christmas eve

I went to Ralph's, the grocery store, on Christmas eve. The parking lot was packed. Headlights and taillights inching forward and it seemed like no one was in a hurry. I went around the parking lot twice only to settle on going in the underground parking which was full as well. I figured if the parking lot was a mess going into the belly of the beast would be quite a thrill. To my surprise the place was full of people shopping quite contently. No kids, but there were a few children. Peaceful shoppers pushing their carts. I got the feeling that most of the people there were just happy to be somewhere. By no means were these people needy. We weren't looking but maybe in a sense we all found a moment of zen in the holiday madness. It felt like I had entered a meeting that had been brought together with a collective sigh of calmness. It was a warm environment, not full of cheer but it did have a serene feel to it. It was odd indeed. I relish moments like this. I felt in tune. I was a player in this holiday scene. By no means was there a Christmas miracle happening on aisle 4, but it was our Christmas eve and I thank those that spent it with me.

1 comment:

  1. wonderful piece of poetry. makes one feel glad to read about your happiness. please have a wonderful wednesday.

    ReplyDelete