Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dear Demon Alcohol

This was a timed excercise given to me in the first weeks of my rehab in Oct '07
Dear Demon Alcohol,
I'm finding it rather easy to put these words in ink. I guess only time will tell how the chips will land after this long overdue goodbye.
We have spent an incredible amount of time together spanning over 20 years. Mostly good times, some bad times, and just recently fucking terrifying!!!
I know you have been doing what comes natural to you and I mustn't blame you for that. It is I that am at fault in this relationship. I thought I was the one that could control and direct where we were going, plan our journeys, our adventure, our love. This will be our last contact. I will not allow you to hurt me anymore. You may think you will destroy me but it is I that have thrown down the gauntlet and I will not be defeated without a fight. I am a man but I promise you this. I am not afraid to fight dirty. You may have been forward, all of these years, with what you are capable of. But I chose to ignore your evil ways. I my friend, will kick and claw, bite and scratch and whatever else it may take to sever all ties with you. You may have won the battle over my ego, stealing from me dignity, self respect, and honor, but I will prevail.
I accept that you are stronger than I had anticipated. To this I tip my hat and bid farewell. I must move on, I've better things to worry about. It's time for me to change and make the changes necessary to explore and enjoy my life without your seductive ways.
Release your fucking grip on me and my soul,
Chris

2 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best on your journey. Addictions can be ugly but you have the right attitude and I hope and pray that you go down this path for the rest of your life. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on being sober for two years. I have never abused drugs or alcohol but your letter touched my soul... Just like alcohol other things e.g fear of relationships, failure can consume us...

    All the best in your journey!

    ReplyDelete