Friday, November 13, 2009

Breakfast with Cyclops




Walking into a cafe today on Queen Anne, a great neighborhood in Seattle, we found ourselves in line behind six or so people. One of these soon to be diners had a handicap. Hell, for all I know they all did but this gentleman of note had a very visible and, in my opinion, rare one of having only one eye. Please bear with me, I'm not trying to be a jackass and I think I have a valid point. I know people with one eye. Boston Jack for instance. He is both a person and he has one eye. I've known Jack for years. I knew two eyed Jack, and now I know one eyed Jack. Please don't think I'm trying to rename Boston Jack. Boston Jack, albeit the only person I know that probably looks better with one eye, is and will always be know as, Boston Jack. Jack chooses to wear an eye patch. It makes his look complete. Mildly good fortune from quite the destructive eye-to-trunk depth miscalculation. That's a whole different story that I'm not fully schooled in, best be left to Boston himself. The eye patch is a great public gesture of decency. I'm sure its not a pretty picture under there. I wouldn't imagine a trunk that would take a mans eye would have many soft edges. Lets just say, I don't think it pitted him gracefully. Kudos to the eye patch my friend. I think most, if not all of society thank you for this. The gentleman in line on the other hand chose to go sans patch. Now I must say that his ocular deficiency didn't appear horrific nor was it an "eye sore", but common decency dictates a patch my friend. Now I could sit here and go on making jokes about things, mostly at one eyed peoples expense. I had quite a few plural vs. singular phrases that I thought were rather clever but I chose to simply point out a few of my thoughts, foolishly serious as they may be.

I ask you sir, have you thought of the reasonable untold agreements that most of us have with each other? The simple things that we customarily accept just to make life simpler for most. Not spitting your gum out on the street, taking only one parking spot, and wiping the top of the mustard bottle when you're done to avoid delivering a mustard scab to the next user, just to name a few. Now don't get me wrong. Punk is not dead. Rebel all you want. Choose your niche. We live in Seattle for crying out loud, but this is kind of an odd statement brother. A statement you made to my four year old little friend. I'm not bitching about your right to bear bare in our society. In fact I'm not bitching at all. You make your choices and I'll make mine. But I do pose these questions. Have you given thought to how your face might be perceived by a young child? I'm sure you have so this next part should be easy. Please bear in mind I'm thirty seven, single and I have no kids. How do you explain this to someone so young? I've been around the block, in fact I've been known to "keep an eye out" for the unique. This was my first encounter with an exposed perfect landing spot for a patch. Hell, I didn't know how to take it. You don't prepare for these things. But I do thank you for satisfying my curiosity. So, what to do with a young boy who is afraid of grapes on his plate because his little mind cant wrap his brain your appearance. Anything eye shaped boggles the little fella. I tell this story and ask these question purely on an honestly curios platform. No hard feelings my cyclops friend. I'm just guessing you've spent more time thinking about this than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment